Books we are reading.

Here is a look at four library books we've been enjoying this week!


Miss Rumphius by Barbara Cooney. Probably one of my most cherished childhood storybooks. My mother read it to us all the time. It's a story about a young woman learning to give back and find her place in the world. Also, the illustrations are beautiful!



One Morning in Maine by Robert McCloskey (author of Blueberries for Sal and Make Way for Ducklings, which we LOVE). I hadn't read this book before I stumbled upon it at the library. It's quite long and though Judah probably would have listened to it entirely at once, we broke it up into two sittings. It is a sweet, nostalgic read, though.



Stuck by Oliver Jeffers. I'm new to Oliver Jeffers and I like this book a lot. Such a cute little story, and Judah is constantly asking us to read it. It's quite silly!



The Art Lesson by Tomie dePaola who is, without a doubt, my favorite children's author. Judah fondly calls this "the crayon book" and I love the different lessons it teaches without getting too preachy.



Funny story: I used to be horrified to read out loud. As a mom who wants her children to enjoy books, I've had to persist through my anxiety (it's also less pressure to read aloud to little kids, because they don't notice when you make mistakes ;) ). Luckily, we started with short board books when Judah was an infant and have progressed to longer picture books as his attention span has increased. The more we read together, the more I love it! I'm actually looking forward to reading some of my favorite chapter books with him when he is old enough- The Indian in the Cupboard, The Boxcar Children, Roll of Thunder Hear My Cry . . . the list goes on!

Comments