A devotional that spoke to me.

The other morning I decided it was time to crack open my new devotional, Gracelaced, after I finished my morning Bible journaling time. My father-in-law gave it to me for Christmas and I've been dying to get into it. The first reading could not have been more appropriate for this season, and I wanted to share it with you (along with a few other goodies I received over the holidays!)

In this season of FRIGID temps, sickness, and post-holiday chaos, the boys and I are hiding out in the house, because to be honest its just too much effort and trouble to bundle the boys and hurry through the freezing cold just so I can watch them touch something in public that I just know is going to contaminate their poor little bodies with the sniffles. As I type this, the forecast is threatening a big snow storm that has already closed most of the schools in the state. We're not going anywhere for a while, folks.

When it gets like this, the walls of our little house start to close in on me. I need the house to be clean and orderly; I cling to the peace that comes with empty hampers and folded laundry, washed dishes, new toys sorted in bins. Messes irritate me and I get short with my family when things pile up.

Except cleanliness and order really don't bring me peace. They offer a temporary fix to what I'm really searching for- solid, permanent refuge. That's not going to come from a categorized pantry, or even a floor that you could eat off of. I'm not meant to find my peace in those things. 

They're insufficient.
Resting in His peace and presence will bring me the satisfaction I crave. It's abiding there I'll receive the rest I need during these (sometimes) seemingly endless days cooped up indoors, awaiting spring and warm, fresh air.

"He who dwells in the shelter of the Most High will abide in the shadow of the Almighty. I will say to the Lord, "My refuge and my fortress, my God, in whom I trust." Psalm 91:1-2

(This is from the "Dwell" chapter of the Gracelaced devotional.)

And more on my other new books!

This Christmas, I received that book and also the She Reads Truth Bible. Yes! I love it. I mean, any Bible will do when it comes to starting up a good habit like morning quiet time, but I feel like artistic, beautiful pages can only enhance the experience ;)
I would be remiss if I didn't mention Present Over Perfect, which has become my go-to when I have a few moments during nap time or before I turn in at night to pick up a book. This wasn't exactly a Christmas gift; my sister-in-law gave it to me for surgery recovery reading. And, boy, she knew exactly what I needed!

Since our little Abram was born, I've been intentional about saying "no" a lot more than I used to say "yes." This book speaks to me so much about where my heart is at in this season of motherhood, but I honestly think it would resonate with just about anyone who deems themselves as "high capacity."
So, what are you reading and enjoying these days? Any good suggestions?
SaveSave

Comments