A reality check.

Friends, my boys had the sickies. Colds, fevers (Judah), and cutting new teeth (Abram)! I'm going to be honest, too . . . there was a heck of a lot of whining and fussing going on in the Wallace house. The boys seemed rather upset too (ha!).

You know what cures the sickies (besides Tylenol and lots of liquids)?

Lots of snuggles, Christmas movies, and NO HOMESCHOOL.


That's right, peeps, I skipped homeschool. For, like, three whole days.

GASP! 
BE STILL MY HEART!

I was really self-conscious about skipping school, at first. Because I committed to doing this! And because I write a blog where I talk about homeschooling! And, well, BECAUSE!

When illness first hit, I thought, "We will soldier forward! No one is throwing up! We can do this! Onward march!" (They really should issue moms tricorn hats for ridiculous moments like this, you know? ;) )

And then Judah stood in the middle of our living room, looked at me with his big puppy eyes and pale face and burst into tears. For no reason. He didn't want to play, he didn't want to do much of anything. And he certainly wasn't going to handle homeschool on that day.

In that moment, I had a reality check. Judah is three. He doesn't have to go to preschool; we're choosing to do homeschool together. That means I get to choose when we don't do homeschool, as well. Skipping a few days of school and letting go of our structure, especially when we're under the weather, isn't going to make a difference on his college application ;)


Instead of school, we drank lots of juice, watched Rudolph the Red Nosed Reindeer about 5 times, and snuggled under our warmest, softest blankets. We allowed long naps. We ate tons of applesauce. We pushed stuffed animals in toy grocery carts and "baked" pretend cookies in the play kitchen. We read too many stories to even count.

The boys are better now. Judah's back to himself and Abram finally cut his tooth. We're back on routine and repeated the week of school we missed. And I'm glad I learned this lesson. Giving ourselves a little grace and flexibility made the hard moments of illness so much more tolerable. We still had a good week, even without checking off our curriculum.

Comments