Christmas traditions for our young family.

Friends, we've been on hiatus here on the blog. So much, so much, so much has happened the last month. First, I got bronchitis while John was away on a business trip. Miserable! Then, right after that, boys both had the croup . . . but a week apart from one another. So we spent 2 weeks nursing littles back to health. And then I had my tonsils removed, which if anyone is wondering, basically takes you out of the adulting game for almost 2 whole weeks. So, that's why it's been silent here.

But, ENOUGH ABOUT SICKNESS. IT'S CHRISTMASTIME!
You guys, I JUST LOVE CHRISTMAS. I know I'm not alone in my adoration of this very special season, but I feel like I relish it even that much more now that I'm a mom. Witnessing the wonder of everything through the eyes of your child is, like, wow. It's just awesome.

I have especially fond memories of Christmas as a child, mostly centered around traditions my mom cultivated for me and my brother and sister. Trimming the tree, baking gingerbread men cookies with raisins for eyes, watching Christmas movies non-stop . . . nothing was every complicated or expensive, but we always looked forward to the little things our family did together in December. Now that Judah is getting older, John and I are being a little more intentional about the traditions we're starting as a young family.
Advent Calendar- I purchased this advent calendar years ago, and it's one of our favorite things to do together all month! It's a Biblically-based retelling of the Nativity story, with a tiny "book" ornament for each day. It's a daily reminder of the reason we celebrate Christmas, amidst all the other distractions.

Operation Christmas Child- John and I have packed boxes for children in need every year of our marriage, and it's a tradition we both grew up with as children. This really takes place around Thanksgiving, but it's a great kick-off to the Christmas season. This is the first year we purposefully included Judah in all of the shoebox prep and packing. I don't know how much sunk in, but I know he will understand more about it every single year.
The Nutcracker- This is a tradition reserved for just John and me. No kids. That's allowed, right? So, the backstory is that our anniversary is actually Christmas Eve (!!!). As a church ministry family, that means our anniversary celebration needs to happen a few days ahead of time. The year John and I got married, we decided to escape the wedding prep mayhem by going to see The Nutcracker together in Boston as a little retreat. We have gone every year since!

Music & Movies- I feel like this is an obvious addition to our Christmas season, but it needs to be mentioned. Our favorite Christmas record playing right now is Raffi's Christmas Album (play "Douglas Mountain" . . . it's so precious).

Jammies- Every year, John's parents present the grandkids with special, matching Christmas pajamas on Christmas Eve. We take photos of all of the little cousins lined up together, all cozy and cute. One day they're going to outgrow this, but we're milking it for all it's worth in these precious years.

Christmas Eve Service- This is probably the most important tradition we have as a family. We dress up a little extra special (our church is pretty casual). The service is especially beautiful and reverent. Sometimes there are (flameless) candles. It's a service of anticipation, excitement, and celebration. It's just so good.
I hope you are enjoying this last week of the Christmas season with your loved ones, and cherishing each moment you have to create memories together! Merry Christmas!

Comments