Critters.

Ahhhhhhh, I can't believe I did this. I allowed my son to bring insects inside our home!

I never, ever, ever thought I would be okay with something like that, and quite frankly, I was kind of overcome with the creepy-crawlies the entire time that little glass jar sat on my kitchen island. Because, like, they could get out. You know????


It all started the day we began "I is for Insect" and made a bug catcher and read The Grouchy Ladybug and The Very Hungry Caterpillar. It was two days after a horrible storm passed through our area overnight and caused a whole lot of chaos (Pause the story here for just a sec . . . this storm all but ruined our porch, grill, and trampoline! It REALLY did some damage! Okay, resume story!). Judah and I spent a good part of one day collecting fallen branches and sticks from the yard for the waste barrels. So when we discovered two little creatures (ironically, a small lady bug AND a caterpillar!), of course we needed to add them to Judah's little observation jar.


(This sparked all sorts of conversation about different kinds of insects. We had never discussed this before and explaining to Judah that a ladybug is both a ladybug and an insect was a little confusing to him.

"A caterpillar is an insect. A bumble bee is an insect. The ladybug is an insect. "
"And a FLY is an insect!"

Yes! See? These simple, beautiful, light bulb moments.)

Anyway, I really thought he would lose his fascination with this ladybug and caterpillar pretty quickly. But the afternoon was getting cool and as we wrapped up our yard work, Judah clutched that little jar and plead with me, "Mama, the ladybug is too cold. It needs to come inside."

His wide-eyed begging expression is on point. My little Christopher Robin. There was no saying "no." I just couldn't break his sweet, concerned heart. So, indoors the bugs came. Mama is a sucker, I know.



I'm relieved to report the bugs did not escape and were humanely evicted from the house the following morning.  Back to the yard they went!

Comments