Cultivating a new daily rhythm.

This is a follow-up to a previous post about my morning devotional time. As mentioned, I've long struggled to make this a priority, and always felt alone in my battle. That other Christian moms had more discipline. That they were more spiritual, more dedicated.

Since posting last week, I've been overwhelmed by the responses from my peers. It seems as if many of us either are working towards having a better routine, or have found one and are encouraging others that they can do the same.


It's reassuring to know I'm not alone, and that there are others along with me on this journey. For those of you who are just beginning to step into a season of dedicated quiet time, here are some things that have helped me stick with it:

I consider my time a tithe (of sorts).
Scripture encourages us to offer "the first of all you produce" to God (Proverbs 3:9). Why not dedicate the first moments of my day to God? I'm at my best first thing in the morning- nothing has gone wrong yet, I have nothing else demanding my attention, and I'm more likely to sit down to read and pray when the house is quiet.

The added benefit to morning time devotionals is that it still leaves room for plans to go awry as the day progresses. But my devotional time isn't bumped to the bottom of the "to-do" list when things get crazy.

My Bible and journal are not in the master bedroom.
Everything I need is downstairs in the living area. I HAVE TO GET OUT OF BED TO READ AND JOURNAL. If I keep my stuff in my nightstand, I'm too tempted to keep sleeping.

My spouse encourages me.
And goes one step further- he gets me out of bed! John is already getting up for his own quiet time and will gently nudge me awake if I "accidentally" sleep through my alarm. It's a kind reminder that I really do want keep going, even when our bed is insanely warm and cozy. And he always has coffee waiting.

I joined a journaling group.
I've mentioned before that I attend a weekly meeting of women who journal together. It's early in the morning and we bring our kids. It's a bit chaotic, but it's also an honest portrayal of where we're at in life. They hold me accountable.

I remember this advice.
"Tomorrow is always fresh with no mistakes in it." (Name that quote!)
Sometimes I sleep too late (whoops). Or I'm slow to get going and the babes are awake before I've cracked open my Bible (my husband appears to have mastered reading with a toddler sitting on his lap while I find this utterly impossible). Sometimes this means I catch up during nap time and sometimes I just move on. But I always try again the next morning. 

So, I've never done this before but I am asking you, friend, to share this post. Because maybe you have been in this spot . . . or maybe you know someone who is? It's important that we don't feel alone when we're desiring to grow and mature in faith. Please share this post so that it reaches others who need to read it :)

Comments