When my child struggles.

I haven't heard of many kids who don't struggle in an area or two (or more). Mamas usually bemoan challenges in our children's temperaments or skills when we're amongst each other and I've never heard a mom say her kid excels at everything (this mom, if she exists, is probably fearful of excommunication, haha).

Intentionally teaching a curriculum in a home school setting has newly awakened me to my son's gifts, preferences, and areas where he needs growth. And because I'm the teacher, it's my job to find creative ways to help Judah overcome his obstacles. It's a lot of pressure!


Lately, I find myself battling with my son in a few particular areas. But before I share what Judah struggles with, I should point out a few areas where he excels.

Judah has an incredible imagination. His world is rich and exciting.

Judah is great at puzzles. He has a knack for memorization . . . melodies, text of books, names of animals. He adapts well in outside-the-box settings.


But here is where Judah struggles- following directions. Especially when we're using crayons, markers, pencils, etc. If I present a paper for tracing lines/letters/numbers, he wants no part of it. He wants to do his own thing, which usually involves scribbling all over the page or pleading with me to hold his hand while he rushes through it.


I don't question his fine motor skills. I don't question his ability to understand the instructions. I question his willingness to slow down and his acceptance of a method other than his own. And until he has his "aha" moment, this is going to be challenging.

We have tracing books, coloring pages, doodle pads, and probably every art utensil you can imagine. They're not at all enticing to my toddler who can't be bothered.

So, if (and when) toddler tempers surface and parental patience is lost, we just stop. We pause. We do something else for the moment until it passes . . . and then we try again.



I have to remind myself it doesn't matter if other kids his age or younger can draw and write more skillfully, because someday we'll have our breakthrough. I'll learn how to read his cues better and find his underlying anxiety behind his stress. We'll find a technique that clicks or he'll just relent and learn to trace a letter A without getting all flustered. When my child struggles, we just let the moment pass, until those moments don't cause struggles anymore.

What do you do when your child struggles?

Comments