What makes you a better parent?

I've been practicing a new exercise for the last few months and it's making a big difference in the way that I parent during the day. You know, when John is working and it's all me with our two boys, at home.

Want to know what it is?

Waking early. INSERT ALL THE CRYING EMOJIS. I'm awake before the sun and before the kids, rolling out of bed for 45 minutes of quiet with my Bible, journal, and cup (okay, it's a vat) of hot coffee. It's not easy, and most mornings I have to fight the temptation to shush my alarm and throw the warm blankets over my head. But I'm getting a moment to center, be peaceful, and allow myself to be built up spiritually before the marathon that is our morning begins.

In some ways, this new routine is counterintuitive. I am running on less sleep (because the baby still nurses late at night before I turn in, so no, I'm not falling asleep any earlier), so obviously I must be less patient, less gracious, less energetic with our boys, right? Well, I'm so happy to tell you that it's exactly the opposite.


When chaos occurs, like, you know . . . the baby is crawling around in a pool of his own spit-up while the toddler won't ask me questions with any other words except for kitty cat whines as I reach for a tissue because he sneezed snot all over his face and the FedEx guy is at the door and the hard boiled eggs I started on the stove top 20 minutes ago have been forgotten OH AND THE MICROWAVE IS STILL BEEPING TO REMIND ME THAT THE CUP OF REHEATED TEA ISN'T HEATED ANYMORE.

(Don't tell me you haven't had days like that ;) )

I'm more mindful of my actions and where my heart is after a morning spent with God. I am more careful of my words and emotions. I can handle these moments with more grace. I'm more balanced. I'm a better mom.


(Can we just pause for a minute and talk about my 8-month Abram standing?! He is just SO proud of himself about it all.)

If you're like me and fight to make this happen, let me encourage you; it will make a huge difference in your life. And if you already are taking time to center yourself (however you do), please share and encourage us all! What makes you a better mom?








Comments

  1. Solidarity sister! My hubs and I are going through the same struggle and transition with the early mornings and your days sound very similar to mine baha. I'm a huge grumperella in the mornings. Thanks for sharing. I will let you know if I find anything that helps or works for us! Xoxo!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment