A slow walk.

It took us a few months after Abram was born (during a New England snowstorm in February, brrr!) to emerge from Newborn Hibernation. He's 6 months old now, and we're feeling a lot more capable these days as parents of two small humans. John and I are making an effort to get outside with them as much as we can! Wallace Family Adventures! YEAH!

A few weeks ago we had a damp Saturday with nothing planned, so we drove a few minutes away to a local park that has a great 1-mile walking trail. We spent the better part of the morning throwing rocks into the pond, collecting acorns, and running on the trail to escape tigers (imaginary, of course). 


One thing I struggle with as a mom is the urge to "hurry." I finding myself coaxing Judah to move along when he stops too many times to examine rocks or jump on a tree stump. I'm not really sure why I have a brain that functions like a ticking clock, but I fight the constant voice in my head that says "he needs to hurry up!" Because, for what?

Being a mom to a toddler who is discovering and enjoying his surroundings is teaching me to reflect more and slooooow down. We can do things just for the pleasure of learning and being present.




Lingering longer, getting dirty, and going off the beaten path are things I want my sons to experience, but it's taking more effort than I realized to say "yes" to those moments when they arise.

Let's get tree sap on our fingers, leaves in our hair, and spend 15 minutes calling to the mallard on the pond even though we need a bathroom break (ha!). Work in progress!

Comments